Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Apr 1995 22:48:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Alistair Bell <ui775@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: Sliding Door Silencer?

On Wed, 12 Apr 1995, Jack Agnew wrote:

> I need to redirect this question - I asked about what type of lubricant > might make the sliding door quieter and it got focused on the wrong > problem. > Ask about lubricants and get: > 1. Pee out the window > 2. Use the front door > 3. Take a porta Potty - or bucket. > <grinning broadly>

You should know better, Jack.

> > One more time folks - what kind of lube works best to quiet the sliding > door? One thought of rubber wheels was interesting, but I don't think > anyone has made that work - have they? >

I have found that cleaning all of the old hard grease from all of the tracks, esp. the bottom one which collects alot of grit, and lightly greasing and oiling them helps alot. Well it helps the door slide, but it still makes a racket. I also have played with the adjustments on the top and bottom sliders to see if I could get them "bearing" differently, but well, not much difference. However, check the bottom track , near the front of the door, just where it makes its little dive inside. Is the paint worn away? Does the door hang-up a bit there? Could need some adjustment up.

Alistair, who will not pee in the sink!