Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Apr 1995 23:48:10 -0700
From:         nrubin@s1.csuhayward.edu (Martha Rubin)
Subject:      Re: Camping in the Rain

Speaking of trashy mildew, I just decided today to go ahead and rid my van of this menace. It was not there due to my neglience in the first place, mind you, as I've only owned the '81 for the past year.

At any rate, I used Tilex (like X14, or similar commercial products), which doesn't smell as strong/offensive as clorox. I sprayed the area once over lightly, and extra on the spots. Let it sit about 5 minutes, and then scrubbed with a good long-handled brush (dry). This created a type of white foam, which sort of worked its way in thru the fibres (the "fabric" of the inside of my poptop is rather like furry suede). As long as I kept brushing evenly, and brushed EVERYWHERE, the color all ended up even. It would not have if I'd just sprayed it there and let it sit. You gotta keep the brush moving to make it look all the same as it dries - sort of like steam cleaning a carpet, or sanding a floor.

After, because I'd sprayed Tilex in the corners and crevices, I decided to use the upholstery steam cleaning mini machine I have to do the tent canvas (helping to remove and distribute the remaining tilex), and the upholstery and carpeting as well.)

Whatever of this you do, make SURE you open up everything and ventilate well while using the tilex. I got some pretty serious/weird stuff going on in my lungs/head :( Also, afterward, you'll need to ventilate until EVERYTHING is totally dry - or the problem will undoubtedly emerge again. Right now, I've got a strong electric heater with fan going on in it all nite to try and evaporate out a lot of the moiture. Hopefully, tomorrow's sun will finish it off, but I won't fold the top down until I'm positive there's not one bit of moisture left in there.

/martha