Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Apr 1995 14:29:50 +0600
From:         daukes@mmts.eds.com (dean c aukes)
Subject:      Re: philosoph.advice

> >Should I stop driving it in order to save it- This doesn't seem to do >her justice. >Any advice or philosophical discourse (to drive or not to drive) (to >restore or not to restore) would be greatly welcomed. > >Thanks, >Corbin Connell > > I struggle a lot with the same concerns. I purchased my bus in original condition and only 60,000 miles. It seemed much easier to keep it in nice shape when I only drove it <5000 miles/year in commute, but in the last year, due to a move I have put 24,000 miles on it. I sometimes feel that it is a valuable vehicle to me and I want it to last a long time and I should try to save it, but then I realize that letting it sit does it almost as much harm as driving it, parts that wear out are generally available (they are still making new breadloafs in Mexico - saw one last Christmas - they look the same) and the bottom line is that I love to drive it, use it, camp in it, etc.

I used to have Corvettes ('61,'62,'68,'74) and struggled with not only "using them up", but getting them in a wreck, stolen, vandalized, etc. I finally got rid of them because I couldn't enjoy driving them anymore. No matter how much you put into the restoration, there is always someone who can afford more - most non-driven, restored Corvettes are over-restored - they are tons better than when they were new.

Anyway, a middle ground for your bus might be to drive it, but not in the salt of winter. Restore as you have time and money. Enjoy driving it!!! It's one thing to see a nice bus at a show, but there is a lot to be said for a nice daily driver also - and you will probably get more credit for the daily driver.

IMHO, Dean Aukes '73 Campmobile