Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Apr 1995 01:33:13 -0700
From:         rrk@rahul.net (Bob R. Kenyon)
Subject:      Re: Red Rock Trip Report Part 4 - Happy Trails

>Red Rock Trip Report Part 4 - Happy Trails

A brilliant report, needing only one correction that I can see.

>In a flash, the thought >processes were shattered by a quick utterance from Mr. Stafford, >which was, "Burn the f-cker!".

I believe the phrase was actually uttered by Al "No, Bob, it's 'righty, tighty'" Hubbard, who obviously felt that although we were all having a great time, we did need to liven things up a little.

>And that, apparently, was good enough for Bradley as he wasted >little time in balancing it into the blaze. There was a cloud >of dark smoke and blue flame as the crowd stepped back, "oooing" >and "ahing" the colorful toxic display. As we watched, the distinct >essence of pc board invaded my sinuses.

Even though the temperature was in the 40's, no one got near the fire for at least 10 minutes while the board burned, except of course for yours truly, who kinda sorta liked the smell, d00d.

>The evening continued on but my eyes were heavy and I knew that >with the long road ahead of me the next day, that I'd better >retire. So I said good night and grabbed my lantern and strolled >down to the van. I had earlier shut the curtains all the way >around and had the top up with the bedding in place. So, I >climbed in and hopped up to the upper bunk, kicked off my shoes >and socks and scrooched into my bag.

And missed the twenty foot high fire and the coals that were actually piled higher than the firepit!

Otto nearly made it home without incident. We did have a little problem while we were crossing the Tehachipi pass. Otto coughed and stumbled a bit, and we stopped for gas, even though it seemed a bit soon.

The problem seemed to be gone, until we were on the flats headed for Bakersfield. The problem started up again, and we decided to stop. Peeking under the hood showed no problems with the wires or plugs or aircleaner. Bradley pulled up and offered a number of witty asides as we debated the problem.

All of a sudden, Al pointed at the somewhat cloudy, murky looking fuel filter 'twixt the fuel pump and carb, and said "Change THAT!" Fortunately we had another with us, and soon the new filter was installed by yrs trly, the apprentice mechanic.

We lost Bradley at the next off ramp, but after a lunch break, we spotted a nice old white splitty cruising along highway 99 at a stately 60mph. The mere fact that we actually caught up with Bradley again shows the pure power and general fortitude that Otto has.

Soon, the ramp to 152 came up on the left, we pulled up next to Bradley in a stately formation of splits, waved ("Eh?"), and turned off into the hazy setting California sunset.

Bob

-- Bob R. Kenyon, Beautiful Downtown San Jose, CA rrk@rahul.net