Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Apr 1995 13:54:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@tim.com>
Subject:      gas tank update

Howdy,

Well I'm in the middle of my engine compartment restoration right now; taking a break and shovelling some food in my mouth and then off to the parts store.

The tank _does_ fit. I clearanced it a bit in the rear (RIR) of the tank to fit better, but thats about it. The neck situation is a bit of a different story though. The late bus neck has a collar with three holes, thru which bolts go to attach it to the body. The problem is the differences in the angles with the early filler body opening vs the later. I may end up cutting part of the old tank neck to use instead, and get a longer piece of 3" (?) fuel hose. I'll keep ya posted.

I found a mouse in there while I was at it, he/she was taking a nap - a _dirt_ nap! Tucked in behind the gas tank, just a skeleton with a little skin left on. Yum!

While I was at it, I welded in my replacement piece I'd fabbed the other day, _excellent_ fit, thankyouverymuch! I also deloused the engine compartment in general and shlocked on a couple heavy coats of enamel. I also re-caulked all the outside edges/seams with the 3M bright white sealer. It looks good enough to eat mice off of!

Had a nasty scare when I took the old tank out, though: I drained the tank into a gas can, and then took the valve out, and whoosh! Gas everywhere! It just kept coming! I pushed the bus out of the garage] real quick and shut off the electrical power, and then started hosing everything down. Its pretty much cleaned up, now, but it was real interesting for a while!

Thom:1,$d -- > C:\DOS C:\DOS\RUN RUN\DOS\RUN ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : Systems Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................