Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Apr 1995 08:16:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@superc.nosc.mil>
Subject:      GNATT 2nd call for participation!  READ THIS!  :)

What is it?

GNATT (Great North American Transporter Trek) is basically going to be a sightseeing trip of the United States and parts of Southern Canada. The idea was conceived by members of the VANAGON mailing list and is currently being organized by yours truly (schwarze@nosc.mil) with the help of Martha Rubin (nrubin@s1.csuhayward.edu)

Who thought up the name?

The name (GNATT) was suggested to me by Patrick Tower (poser@leland.Stanford.EDU) although he claims to have heard it from somewhere else. Another name I really liked was "Transporter Owners' Great Adventure (TOGA)" suggested by Dyer Lytle (lytle@noao.edu). Thanks to Joel Walker, Steve Johnson, Richard Palmer, Dyer Lytle, and Patrick Tower for all of the name suggestions. Is everyone happy with GNATT? We could change it...

When is it?

The trip is scheduled to start on May 19th, 1995 and last approximately a month, maybe longer.

Where will it go?

(approximate schedule)

Friday and Saturday, May 19-20, Yosemite Nat'l Park, California. Sunday and Monday, May 21-22, Lassen Park, California. Tuesday and Wednesday, May 23-24, Redwood Park, California. Thursday and Friday, May 25-26, Crater Lake, Oregon. Saturday, May 27, Honeyman State Park, Oregon. Sunday, May 28, Portland, Oregon. Monday and Tuesday, May 29-30, Olympic Peninsula, Washington. Wednesday, May 31, Seattle, Washington. Thursday, June 01, Victoria, British Columbia. Friday and Saturday, June 02-03, Mt. Revelstoke area, British Columbia. Sunday and Monday, June 04-05, Glacier Nat'l Park, Montana. Tuesday and Wednesday, June 06-07, Yellowstone Nat'l Park, Montana. Thursday and Friday, June 08-09, Mt. Rushmore & Black Hills Nat'l Forest, S.D. Saturday, June 10, Badlands Nat'l Park, South Dakota. Sunday, June 11, Omaha Nebraska. Monday, June 12, Picnic, St. Louis, Missouri.

Well, that's the Western leg. The Eastern leg has not been planned yet, volunteers gladly accepted, as the way things are going, I don't know if I will be able to do it myself.

There are about 40 people that have expressed interest in participating in a portion of the trip, and based on past experience I expect less than half that many to actually make it. The VANAGON list has grown and changed significantly since this was discussed last, so I am announcing it again in hopes of getting some more participants.

William Warburton, who was travelling in South America, was supposedly going to be coming up through Mexico to Southern California sometime in March, buying a bus, and joining the tour - but I haven't heard from him since he called me a couple of months ago. I hope he is okay...

I myself am fairly committed, at this point, to making most or all of the Western leg of the GNATT tour. I have already been granted a month off of work, and am working hard on my 73 camper to get it ready for the trip. Be assured that the tour WILL HAPPEN! :)

The point of this post is that if anyone is interested in joining up for a part of this great adventure, and haven't contacted Martha or myself already, please let us know! We want to make this as big an event as possible and a lot of fun for everyone, and the key is participation!

Thanks,

-David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) San Diego, California '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) schwarze@nosc.mil http://papaya.nosc.mil/~schwarze =============================================================================