Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         11 Apr 95 03:18:01 -0600
From:         yo_jack@club.ncdl.com (Jack Reed)
Subject:      Re: Replacing Stock 82 Van mirrors w/stronger model

Howdy all,

I had the same problem on my '81, but not with the post pulling out of the mirror. What I found was that the aluminum post and "backing washer" for the spring would seize together over time. Once that happened no amount of spring tightening would get things right again.

Through liberal use of WD40 and various tools, I was able to remove the washer from the post. Then I filed down the flats on the post until the washer slid easily over it. A liberal application of grease prevents them from seizing up again. After this "treatment", small changes in bolt adjustment result in big changes in degrees of tight- ness. Grease the ball and cup arrangement lightly as well since their proximity to the elements causing a certain amount of seizure as well.

YMMV, but it's worked fine on both mirrors (after experiencing increasingly worse sag) for two years now. Sandpaper would probably work as well on the post as the jewelers file I used. You just want to remove enough metal to allow the washer to move up and down the shaft easily. Or you can be smarter than I was and remove the metal from inside the hole in the washer.

Jack

--- Blue Wave/RA v2.12 [NR] -- |Internet: yo_jack@club.ncdl.com | | Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly their own. | From EMCC BBS +1 970 490 2843 - Ft. Collins, CO