Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Apr 1995 17:13:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@superc.nosc.mil>
Subject:      GNATT update

Friends, Following this message is the latest plan I have as to the route the GNATT tour (Western leg) will take. I am posting it to the list in hopes of getting a few more people interested in attending. The list of participants is shrinking at this point, and I am starting to worry that I may be doing portions of this trip alone. I hope it doesn't come to that! Future updates to do with GNATT will only be sent to participants to avoid cluttering the list.

A reminder - if you are interested in participating in *any part* of this trip and have not done so already, please notify me (schwarze@nosc.mil) or Martha (nrubin@s1.csuhayward.edu) immediately. The trip WILL happen, cause I already have the month off work. =)

Of course, comments, criticisms, and suggestions are welcome, and will be incorporated into the plan if possible.

-David

Fri, Sat, Sun. May 26-28 Busses By The Arch, St. Louis, MO

Monday, May 29th Head northwest on Route 61 to the Iowa border, then North on 394 to 218, hang a right at Washington (92), pick up 61 North again. Cross into Illinois at the small island town of Sabula, go North on 84 to Galena, a well-preserved river town. Footbridge across the Galena river leads to Ulysses S. Grant's home. Riverboat museum in Dubuque. That's probably enough for one day.

Tuesday, May 30th Continue North on 52 with a stop at Guttenberg (gotta keep the list administrator happy!). On the way is Balltown, where there is a tavern called Breitbach's, where there is a horse blanket left by the James gang, supposedly. Pikes Peak State park is supposed to be worth a look. Continue West on 52 to the 16, to 90. 90 West until we feel like stopping for the night. Option - Go up 35 in Wisconsin all the way to the 90. Supposed to be a beautiful Birch and Oak lined 2-lane road along sheer bluffs.

Wednesday, May 31st Drive West on 90 to Badlands Nat'l Park. Stay the night.

Thursday, June 01 Spend the morning looking around Badlands, short drive over to Custer State Park ,Black Hills Nat'l Forest, and Mt. Rushmore. Spend rest of the day sightseeing.

Friday, June 02 Look around for the day.

Saturday, June 03 Get up early and drive to Yellowstone NP.

Sunday, June 04 Spend the day in Yellowstone

Monday, June 05 Get up early and drive North on 89, to 90, to 93 North into Waterton Glacier park.

Tuesday, June 06 Sightseeing in Glacier - perhaps a day hike into the high wilderness?

Wednesday, June 07 Up route 2 into Alberta, Canada. Drive to Calgary and then West on Route 1. Camp somewhere near Revelstoke.

Thursday, June 08 Meander slowly West on Route 1 towards Vancouver. Camp off Route 1 again.

Friday, June 09 Drive through to Patricia Bay (Alistair's place!). Take the ferry to Victoria? Stay the night in Alistair's orchard (Thanks Al!!).

Saturday, June 10 Take the ferry from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend. Stop by Poulsbo for a look-see (Norwegian town). Visit USS Missouri (where the Japanese surrendered in 1945). Head back up route 3 to 104 West to 101 West. Stop at Sequim to see the Dungeoness National Wildlife Refuge. Camping options include KOA at Port Angeles - $22/night - hot tub! Also tons of cheap/free campgrounds in the local mountains.

Sunday, June 11 Stay in the Olympic penninsula area. Lots to see here, including the Hoh rain forest, Solduc hot springs, Hurricane penninsula. Drive out to La Push, where there are supposed to be great beaches and a rain forest.

Monday, June 12 Down 101 into Oregon. Stay at one of the State parks on the coast, such as Honeyman or Sand Dunes. Supposedly there is a "Dunes hike every Monday at 10AM in the Oregon Dunes Nat'l Rec Area. I don't anticipate a problem finding a place to stay - I called the Oregon Parks and Rec. dept. *and* Honeyman state park and they both said I wouldn't need a reservation, and to save my $6 (costs extra to reserve). Fees for Honeyman are $18/night with hookups, $16 without. They said they are right next to some huge sand dunes.

Tuesday, June 13 Cut inward on route 138 to Crater Lake. Stay at a State Park nearby.

Wednesday, June 14 Drive down 199 to 101 South, stop at one of the Redwood parks to camp for the evening.

Thursday, June 15 299 East to Redding, 44 East to Lassen Volcanic park. Stay the night in Lassen.

Friday, June 16 36 E to 395 South, through Reno to 120 West (Tioga Road). Camp near Mono Lake.

Saturday, June 17th Hike up to the Tioga Mine in Eastern Yosemite. Drive into the high country, stay at one of the campgrounds there (Tamarack, Yosemite Creek, White Wolf, etc. No reservations needed for the high country.

One comment, we really need to get to Yosemite a day earlier. Arriving on a Saturday is not a good thing. I don't really want to cut any part of the trip out, but there is not really any time unless something is cut out. Right now, I am thinking about getting rid of the stop at Crater Lake in Oregon, even though it is beautiful, cause it is really kind of out of the way. Comments?

-David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) San Diego, California '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) schwarze@nosc.mil http://papaya.nosc.mil/~schwarze =============================================================================