Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Apr 95 16:16:46 EDT
From:         ja@decws3.coe.wvu.edu (John Anderson)
Subject:      Blasphemy, tires, and handling.

Well, I might get kicked off for this but this weekend I borrowed dad's '87 Caravan to move some stuff and what I want to know is how does it handle as well as it does on regular load 195/75 series, 2 polyester sidewall ply tires. Sure, it's lighter, and more aerodynamic but I mean come on this thing will outhandle a bus and probably a Vanagon and it has 155,000 miles on it. Now we did do the struts and shocks about 20,000 ago but springs and front strut bearings are origional. I can see that it outhandles a bus, after all no offense to our favorite vehicles but a design Ferdinand and the boys put out in 193? had no business being used into the late '70s, coupled with skinny tires and a tall vehicle buses were never meant to handle in a normal sense. But what about Vanagons?, them things got coil springs I tell ya, and though I don't remember certainly something like a truly modern front suspension design, double A arms or at least some sort of multi link assembly, should be better than MacPherson struts, still if you don't have reinforced tires, beware. Of couse the Vanagon still was tall and not overly aero and origionaly still rode on the 185's so I can see that as well. But why on the Eurovan, with as much of a car suspension as VW will ever put on their big van (they may make that Ford thing afterall), front wheel drive, great aero (for VW), no rear weight bias from hanging the engine out behind the rear wheels, why does it still require 6 ply rated tires? Load Rating?, certainly no greater than a Grand Caravan is it? As a total devils advocate I'd like to say the Caravan has never had an engine or tranny rebuild, thouhg the head gasket was replaced at 80,000 or so as a recall, it has good compression all round on its Mitsu inline 2.6, and only uses maybe 1/4 qt of oil every 5000 or so which is primarily due to the oil that leaks past the shot valve stem seals overnight and burns off on the first start up, a problem we could fix but have been too lazy to deal with, Dad beats this thing incidently, it is driven hard as he bought it for nothing from a friend to replace our '86 Vanagon after I rolled it back in '90. It does get regular oil/filter and air/fuel filter changes but that is it, yes you can't fit a sheet of plywood in it, the steering is so overboosted its ridiculous but the interior and exterior have worn as well as our Vanagon was and certainly the carpet is much better. Anyway just wondering, I also note a lot of these have real engine problems by this mileage and ours probably has lasted because the previous owner a friend of ours changed oil every 3000 religiously.

John Anderson ja@coe.wvu.edu '71 Westy, '90 Corrado G60, this weekend only in cool blue '87 Caravan