Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 2 May 1995 17:33:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:   Gary Clayton <coyote@nando.net>
Subject:   Need advice: where to buy longblock

My '76 Westy (2L FI) has never run exactly right. A friend just opened a garage and agreed to let me use his space and give me guidance to take out the engine and find the problem(s). Well, the engine is now completely disassembled and the bad news is: need new clutch, 1 head can be reworked, 1 head needs replacing, 2 piston heads are toasted, the cam shaft is worn out. The case had some clear silicon-like stuff over some holes (oil galleys?). My friend and I discussed all the above items and agreed that the better decision may be to buy an assembled longblock that I could get a warranty with and have more faith in than try to piece this engine back together.

So, one company he had heard of is GEX. I called them and they quoted me $1514 for a longblock. This includes $95 shipping from CA to NC and $300 that I may get back on core charge.

I see other ads in VW Trends and DB&Hot VWs. Some are priced lower, some higher.

So, any net.wisdom on where to buy would be appreciated.

PS- another friend said take this opportunity to put in an 1800 instead of the 2000 - said I'd save a lot in parts later. Would this be a plug-and-play thing, or require other work also?

I'm not giving up! I love VWs and especially my bus. I'm looking at this as a great opportunity - I've got free shop space and mechanic advice! I've learned so much already while taking this engine out and apart. My goal is to be self supporting. Able to get in the bus and take off on a long trip without worrying that I will have some problem and not be able to fix it.

Peace to all, -gary