Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 May 1995 09:55:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: Add-on Oil Coolers

On Fri, 12 May 1995, Gary Clayton wrote:

> > I'm waiting on a new GEX longblock to come in for my '76 Campmobile and > have had (too much?) time to think about some other things I may want to > do at this time. > > One is add an extra oil cooler. > > I do not like the ones I've seen mounted on the outside of the van, but > something that would fit in the engine compartment (in corner across from > battery?) would be OK.

Wouldn't you want the oil cooler to be mounted outside the engine compantment so yer not heating the air the cooling fan is sucking in to cool your engine with? I've toyed with the idea of installing an auxilliary oil cooler too, and thought a good place to mount it mount it would be up above the tranny. But then again, I don't have the extra cooler, so what the hell to I know? :)

FWIW, I drove around pretty much the entirety of Mexico just a few months ago, and oil temps were high, but not crazy. Cruising at 45-50 mph on flats in 80 - 90 F temps gave usually 230 - 250 F oil temp (as measured from the dip stick), although hard climbing in 2nd (and even 1st on some highway grades =:O ) could go as high as 290 F. Gets that high, I back WAY off, even let the poor thing cool down. Changed the oil alot running that hot in the mountains.

For all folks Mexico-bound: Bring your own extra oil for all anticipated oil changes for the time you'll be in Mexico. Oil is VERY expensive in Mexico, especially in the more southern regions, and particularly for multi-grade, which isn't used much in Mexico. We're talking up to 30 pesos a QUART for Valvoline or Quaker State 20/50--thats like $6.00 US!! And, no, this was not just the gringo price, although it might be inflated as 20/0 may be a "gringo oil".

Tobin ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin T. Copley Currently ============= (604) 689-2660 Occupationally /_| |__||__| :| putta tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca Challenged! O| | putta '-()-------()-' Circum-continental USA, Mexico, Canada 15,000 miles... '76 VW Camper! (Mango)