Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 May 1995 13:01:49 -0700
From:         eugp@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Eugene C. Palmer)
Subject:      Re: 71 bus, brakes, front end

>New subscriber needs help! I've just bought a 71 bus (1600 dual port) and >need to do some pretty major brake work and maybe some front suspension >work. > >1) The power brake system is beyond my expertise...is there a way to >retro-fit a simpler non-power system to this bus? The vacuum hoses are >off, the bus will stop if you stand up on the brake pedal. I don't need >great stopping power...the bus is going to spend its final days on a >small Gulf coast island with only sand roads and will never get over 40 >mph. >

Try to get the power booster working, it could simply be that the hoses aren't hooked up. This is not really expertise, just hoses. It's worth it, regardless of whether you're stopping for 40 foot diesels or 3 foot goats. Retro-fitting would be far more labor and money. Most people are retro-fitting to what you have already.

>2) All of the rubber boots protecting the ball joints have rotted away. >Would it be easier to change them individually or replace the whole >suspension system as a unit. I've never worked with suspensions, but am >willing to if it's doable. >

Bad situation sir. Ball joints are not easy, but review your manuals and see if it's do-able. If it's really going that far outback, maybe give up and remember to spray the front down with water every other trip. I doubt if it's easier to replace the entire front end, but, hey, I haven't done it so I don't _really_ know. With the right tools, anything is possible.

Eug, '71