Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 May 1995 14:10:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@superc.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Re: Overheating

Dave Kautz writes: > > All this talk about overheating has piqued my curiostity <again>. Could > someone who has both a cylinder head temp and an oil temp gauge comment on > the relationship between the two. When the engine gets hot, do both temps > move up together? Is oil temperature more affected by engine speed <increased > friction> than head temp? Do the heads ever get really hot but the oil stays > closer to normal?

My experience is this. I'll be driving along the highway, oil temp about 210, CHT about 275 (mine is measured at the boss - spark plug readings seem to be higher for other people). I'll see a grade coming, start up it in 4th. Gas pedal almost (but *never* fully!) floored, try to hold speed at 55. At this (relatively) slow RPM, the oil temp will remain close to the same for a long time, while the CHT will rise very quickly to around 325. If I downshift and slow to 45 in 3rd, the rpms go up a lot, and the oil temp shoots up very quickly while the CHT drops to cruising temps (275-ish). If I maintain high RPMs in 3rd, the oil temp will go through the roof. Once it hit 270 - never again. So, I generally slow down to 40 in 3rd to get a good balance between oil temp and CHT. Once the oil temp is this high, it will not go down easily, and if I try to shift back into 4th at 50mph, the pressure is very low, like 20-25psi. This while the oil temp is hovering around 240. I ran (until 2 weeks ago) Castrol 20-50 for all of the above tests. I ran straight 30 weight for a while, but found that pressure dropped, and went back to 20-50.

Two weeks ago I put in 15-50 Mobil One synthetic. I haven't been on any long drives yet, but yesterday driving up a grade I got the temp up to 230. From what I can tell, the oil temp hasn't changed much, but pressure seems to be up a little at high temps. Not a lot, but even at 230 degrees I still had 40psi @ 60 mph, which I consider to be good pressure. I think I will stick with the 15-50 synthetic, since (fortunately) my bus doesn't use any oil.

> And finally, what temperature do people call "overheating"? Oil temp at 250 > degrees? Heads at 400 degrees?

My VW performance book states that ideally oil temp should be between 180 and 230, and never exceed 270. Don't know about CHT.

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems, San Diego Calif. '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: schwarze@nosc.mil '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Sleeper) http://papaya.nosc.mil/~schwarze '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================