Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 1995 11:53:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>
Subject:      Left-over part?: starter re/re

Ok, so yesterday I *finally* got around to replacing the starter solenoid that packed it in after starting(?) the camper in -30 C temps in New Brunswick a couple of months ago. Got sick of push-starting and strategic parking.

So I pull the starter, no prob, but I thought I heard something drop as I'm pulling the starter clear of the tranny case. Hmmm... Lying on my back, look around, I see nothing. Crawl out, replace the solenoid with a new one, get ready to go back under the bus to reinstall the whole thing.

I see something lying on the ground. It looks just like a 5/16ths ball bearing, nice and shiny, but with a threaded hole (maybe 2-3mm dia.) that's tapped about 3/4 of the way through the "bearing." None of the manuals I have (St. Muir, Bentley, Haynes) make any mention anything like this.

Did some vandal put it under the bus when I had my back turned just to screw me up? Or is it really a part that belongs in there somewhere? I couldn't find an obvious home for it, so I just pocketed it, finished the job and the bus starts and runs just fine.

Any ideas on what this thing is? Does it belong to the bus at all? Has somebody on alt.shenanigans tracked down my address and done me in good?

Tobin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tobin T. Copley Currently ============= (604) 689-2660 Occupationally /_| |__||__| :| putta tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca Challenged! O| | putta '-()-------()-' Circum-continental USA, Mexico, Canada 15,000 miles... '76 VW Camper! (Mango)