Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 1995 17:53:34 -0700
From:         Dennis Gentry <dennis@cpac.washington.edu>
Subject:      Parts for the '74 bus in Mexico

I don't know about the rest of Central America, but I didn't have much trouble getting parts in Guadalajara for my '72 bus engine (stock 1700 w/single Weber and a new Mexican muffler). Repairs were never fast, but nothing in Mexico is. Also, be sure to doublecheck repairs (and maybe even supervise a little after making friends with the mechanics so as not to be insulting). After an engine R&R, the mechanics routed my fuel line over sharp engine tin near a heat exchanger. Definitely would have resulted in total destruction had I not caught it before driving off.

My experience was that prices for good quality oil in the Mega Mercado or Sam's Club or Wal Mart were reasonable (~5 pesos/quart = US$1.50) in 1994, and *more* than reasonable (maybe 6 pesos, which was then $1 or so) after the peso dropped in Dec/Jan 95. Valvoline was easily available, and stores usually also carried Chevron and a couple of other decent brands.

I was initially really careful about filtering my fuel (by hand, even), then eventually relaxed enough to let my inline filter take care of the job. I did keep up the octane booster and lead substitute regimen that I had started once I hit the border, especially if it was a hot day or I was going to be driving hard. The fact that Guadalajara is at 6000 feet probably helped keep it running reasonably rich, and I probably didn't need to worry about the octane as much as I did.

Dennis