Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 May 95 14:52:43 -0400
From:         sjteets@unity.ncsu.edu (Jason Teets)
Subject:      So you bought bruces busRe: Oh no! Another one!

> Howdy all. Well, as any true bus freak, I was unable to resist the >calling of my latest project, a '66 Sunroof Deluxe. It is mechanically >really sound, with mostly new everything. The cosmetics, however, leave >a bit to be desired. Basically, it was stripped down. No trim, and no >interior whatsoever. Also, some wonderful person put a lovely sheet of >plexiglass over the sunroof, but at least I do have the necessary >hardware to put in the ragtop. The only other bad thing is a nasty >spare-tire sized dent in the nose, where someone left it in gear, and it >smacked a wall with the mounted spare tire. > Soooooooooo, I guess my first question is, what's the best way to pull >such a dent? Although the bus came with an extra nose, welding that on >seems to be a tremendous project, for which I don't think I'm ready. > Anyway, I will be searching for various door handles and latches and >other hardware as time progresses. Thanks for any and all bodywork words >of wisdom. >Richard

I'll be darned, you bought the bus from bruce. Sounds like he sold you the whole package, engine and all. (So... poke, poke...how much did you give for it?)That nose skin is a major job, would require lotso tools I aint got laying around to replace it. I did know a guy once that was in a similar situation though, and this is what he did: Banged out and pulled as much of the dent as possible (his wasnt quite as bad as yours) then filled that baby with bondo (I know, sounds crazy). months/years later he banged into a stump and the bondo popped out!!!

If I remember correctly (I looked at the bus also) many of the window seals need replacing (ouch that hurts$$$) but aside from that and the nose s/he looked pretty good. Ray mentioned that he had bought a welder, but I dont know if he has a grinder...maybe he could help you out, Im sure you have already talked to him

Well Im excited for you!! congrats jason