Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 May 95 21:29:30 EDT
From:         ja@decws3.coe.wvu.edu (John Anderson)
Subject:      A few diesel engine questions.

OK all you diesel van folks, I hate to ask these on this list, but where else to turn, because it's actually in a '78 diesel Rabbit, 1500cc origional engine etc. Well, this is my aunts old car, 40,000 origional miles driven till about 1 year ago that I intend to give to a foreign friend while he finishes his PHD as his current ride, a '81 Capri is a nightmare and only getting 10 mpg. Now my aunt drove the Rabbit till about January 1994, left for a month or so, it never started again, my uncle who maintained it, is frankly ultra cheap and never changed the fuel/water filter in its life even though we gave him 2 brand new ones after our '78 died many years ago. So it has been sitting over a year in an unheated but protected barn. I had rebuilt the front calipers and replaced one wheel cylinder about 2 years back with a change to new DOT 4 fluid so I hope the brakes will be OK corrosion wise, plan to look at them, bleed em out good and rebuild the vacuum pump. But the engine startup routine is where I need suggestions, I charged the battery slowly and put it in, cranked it a couple time checked compression, all looks good. Pulled a couple glow plugs, they looked poor and eroded so I orderd a Whitney's fast start set for $35, just couln't stomach $80 for Bosch and we had the Whitney's in ours for 80,000 miles with no problems. I intend to do the following and would appreciate any suggestions about the plan.

1. Install new plugs, drain the oil and replace with cheap crap. 2. Pull the injectors, inspect and clean junk off, pray they are not rusted solid, replace install new OEM fuel return lines. 3. Start the engine (well I hope) on a can of Lubro Moly Diesel Purge, let run as long as it can off that. 4. Drain the fuel tank (sadly this was not done) fill with a few gallons new diesel, replace any rubber lines I see, remove fuel/water filter, clean housing install new filter element and pray the tank did not rust badly (they are steel aren't they, I haven't looked) 5. Let it run a few hours, drain the oil, change filter and fill with good Shell 15W-40, let it cool and adjust the valves. 6. Replace the timing belt as I have a brand new one, I can't find my old Rabbit manual though so any tips/suggestions here would be appreciated, I know they won't run if you screw it up. 7. Get it inspected and give it to him if I don't become to fond of it myself.

She abandoned the poor thing as she took a slight front hit, (not bad though, not even worth fixing) then it quit running and it was 15 years old already, plus no a/c, no radio, ABS and airbags not even a glimmer in VW's mind back then, still it is German made, only has the 40,000 and I got a lot of spare oil, fuel, air filters, brake pads and shoes, etc. so it's a shame to let it sit until it's too far gone if that isn't already the case. Any suggestions or tips would be most appreciated, email me direct, don't bother the list any further, sorry for already burdening all of you but where else am I going to get educated opinions from diesel owners.

John Anderson ja@coe.wvu.edu '71 Westy, '90 Corrado G60