Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 May 1995 01:07:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:         JONES RICHARD AARON <jonesr@colorado.edu>
Subject:      Re: Why there are so many cars with "rebuilt" engines for sale?

My two cents on the rebuild question....I am right now shopping for a '71 bus which is basically a tin box with a lawn mower engine in the trunk. It's going to be 25 years old and there is no way the original engine is going to be in there. So I always ask if they have the paperwork ("well, uh, no but THE LAST GUY had it rebuilt--he told me so..." yeah whatever.) So I slap a compression gauge on there and when it fails miserably I say "See yeah!" (Can you tell I'm getting REALLY frustrated?) I've looked at 7 or 8 busses in the last two months and still only own one VW, my golf.I am seriously thinking of flying out to southern CA to hang with my sister for a week in order to find a bus to drive back to Colorado. (CO is a bummer state to look for a bus--they either have been lived in for too long, neglected by a dead-head, or bastardized to the point where you look at the engine and can barely recognize it!)

My other solution is this: I graduate from CU in ten days(!) and I figure a collection can be taken up on the list and/or someone out of the kindness of their heart will give/donate to me a '71. Hey c'mon this has been the best 6 years (heh heh) of my life and I have damn well earned this sweet graduation present! (reply to your hearts content, but e-mail only if your helping me to acquire that bus or donating to the bus fund---BTW I have the money for it so anything you give will only help sweeten the deal.)

-Rich/My other car is a Trek

P.S. Busless but damn, life is still pretty cool...Have a good one!