Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 May 95 08:31:57 PDT
From:         smaher@ball.com (Steve Maher)
Subject:      Re: Breaker bar of death (sid.

Steve Johnson says:

>I remember when I needed to remove my flywheel bolt one time and had >mistakenly removed the heads first and had no way of keeping the >engine block still while trying to loosen the bolt. My sister-in- >law happened to be visiting and talking with my wife. First I had >my wife stand on the block by herself which wasn't enough. Then I >had both my wife and sister-in-law stand on it. That did the trick!

A flywheel lock is even easier to make than the dreaded Breaker Bar (which needed welding). Go to the local building yard and buy about a 4-ft length of 1" x 1" angle iron. Drill two 3/8" holes near the end in one of the flanges, far enough apart to fit two of the flywheel holes where the clutch bolts on. (Obviously, don't use two holes on exact opposite sides of the flywheel, 'cuz you'll block the gland nut when you bolt the bar onto the flywheel).

Then, to loosen the gland nut, first bolt on your new flywheel lock bar, then put your steel-pipe Nut Persuader or other suitable instrument on the gland nut, and pull them together like scissors. You and the flywheel will reach new levels of understanding and good karma.