Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 May 1995 12:01:41 -0500
From:         Stephen Serafin for Malek <serafin@ece.utexas.edu>
Subject:      Greasy Mess

VWers,

Made it trough my first experience greasing the wheel bearing and CV joints in the rear of my '75 bus. All-in- all it went well but it took a looong time to complete (3 days and about 25 hours of work).

The first thing I did was collect the parts and tools: 9.09ea CV boot kits: 12pt star bolts,grease,circlips (qt 4) 3.45ea grease seals (4 needed) 2.69 wheel bearing grease 0.12ea cotter pins (2 required) 5.49 6mm hex driver socket 10.99 snap ring pliers 24.99 0-75 ft-lb torque wrench

Removing the CV joints went well. I marked them so I could install them with the same orientation. It was a real pain to remove the circlips though. The joints were fairly easy to get off the axle and disassemble for thorough cleaning. I had plenty of marked containers so I did not mix up the parts. Put those to the side and started on the bearings.

Man are those axle nuts on tight!!! I got the passenger side nut off with a pipe wrench which I turned by lifting the handle with a floor jack. The driver side would not budge, just lifted the wheel off the ground. Bought: 13.50 46mm socket 24.99 3/4 in slider bar Used the 4ft floor jack handle as a breaker bar and after jumping on its extreme edge it finally started turning. I had to keep rotating the slider bar so it would bend back straight (its a 3/4 in bar)!!!

With the axle nut off the rest of the disassembly was straight forward until I got to the bearings themselves. My Bently manual shows a snap ring on either end but my bus only has a snap ring for the inner ball bearing. The outer roller bearing is pressed in. I did not want to replace the bearings so after much cleaning, squirting with solvent, and many grease soaked rags I was able to get all the grease out. It only took about 2hrs per side.

Another discovery was that the wheel cylinders were leaking. So another trip for parts: 12.00ea wheel cylinders (2) 10.75 spring kit 19.99 11mm break line wrench (set came with 3 wrenches) 15.99 circlip pliers (for CV joint assembly)

Assembly of the CV joints took place on the kitchen floor. I started it outside but a gust of wind landed dust and grit all over my clean CV joints. So recleaned them and went indoors. Getting all the balls in the right grooves is really a neat puzzle because they fit 2 ways. The first one I assembled correctly the first time. The second one I got wrong and spent 1/2hr trying to figure out why. The circlip pliers sure made installing them easy. Put the axles in plastic bags and back out to the bus.

The wheel bearings greased up real nice. I used a needle adapter on my grease gun which fit perfectly between the rollers and behind the spacer. Filled the cavity and had grease oozing out the balls and rollers.

Assembly of the rest of the parts was straight forward. I put a good bead of rtv behind the break backing plate and cleaned all the break parts with Brakeclean. Also greased pads the shoes run on and the adjusters with brake grease. The axle nuts were tightened as much as I dared (my weight times 4ft is a lot more than the specified 235 ft-lb). Bled and adjusted the brakes and took it for a test drive. The brakes were vastly better otherwise it rode the same as before.

The next day, after putting about 30mi on, I retorqued the axle nuts tightening them to the next spot the cotter pin lines up in.

Total cost was: US$220 (about $95 parts, $125 tools).

Next weekend I'll do the front wheel bearings.