Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 May 95 11:16:16 PDT
From:         Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com>
Subject:      2 liter vs. 1800

Gary Clayton writes:

snip most of message-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- PS- another friend said take this opportunity to put in an 1800 instead of the 2000 - said I'd save a lot in parts later. Would this be a plug-and-play thing, or require other work also?

Being in a similar situation as yourself, meaning that the internals of my engine are scattered helter-skelter around the garage, I have looked at some of the alternatives recently.

I don't agree with your friend. Any money you save would be saved now, not later. The fundamental mechanical difference between the 17/1800 and the two liter is crankshaft and connecting rods. A rebuilt two liter costs a couple hundred more, probably not so much due to content but as to the cost of cores and what the market will bear. As Dave Schwarze pointed out, many 17/1800 owners seek to upgrade to a 2 liter.

Your savings might be more significant only if your core is not acceptable. I've found that the core deposit on a 17/1800 is only about $100 with most rebuilders whereas it is more like $400 for a two liter. If you combine the savings on the engine with the difference in core deposit you are looking at about $500. This would be offset by having to buy a different clutch <unless you could get the rebuilder to put a 228 mm flywheel on the 1800 or use your old one>. If you were to choose this route, order an 1800 for a 1975 model bus which is configured for fuel injection and has vents in the rocker boxes for PCV. Earlier engines which were carbureted will give you plumbing problems when you try to hook up your F.I..

I prefer the 17/1800 engine, but for romantic rather than rational reasons. The 66mm stroke is what ties the type IV to it's origin at Porsche. So many of the great Porsches used a 66mm stroke <all 911s up until 2.4 liters, the Carrera 6, the 908 etc., etc.> This is probably caused by some happenstance like their R&D lab has a crank grinder fixed at 66mm and not for any good reason. When the 17/1800 was enlarged to 2 liters it was done by offset grinding the original crankshaft forging by 5mm. The result is that the rod journals are 5 mm _smaller_ on the 2 liter than on the 17/1800! This clearly isn't a problem because all the Type IV bottom ends have a reputation for being robust. Still, it bothers me that they did it that way......

Anyway, my advice <and remember, free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it> is to keep with the two liter if your core deposit will be refunded. Enjoy all that extra torque! If they won't take your core, going with the 1800 may be worthwhile if you are tight on cash. I think long term savings will be zip, since the stuff on the outside of the engine is pretty much the same.

Dave Kautz dkautz@hapsidms1.sid.hp.com