Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 May 1995 19:23:26 -0600 (CDT)
From:         Jerry Dunham <dunham@devnull.mpd.tandem.com>
Subject:      Re: German Wants To Join!

]Date: Wed, 3 May 95 23:21:12 CDT ]From: dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu (Sami Dakhlia) ] ]Jerry "Atari" Dunham on Germans: ] ]>Then I must ask why Germans are such a large part of the Atari groups ] ]Many Germans own Ataris. When I lived there, I knew about as many people ]with Ataris as people with PCs. Almost no Macs. (that was over 4 years ago.)

Exactly! (Puenktlich!) And many of them are on MausNet, or EUnet, or CLSnet, or.... Anyway, they're on the net and active on newsgroups devoted to an American computer.

]>I can think of is that this group has a much more social orientation, and ]>anyone only interested in the technical aspects of bus ownership has to ]>wade through all of that to find what he wants. ] ]Germans, too, can be social ;)

Ich weiss. I was just groping for what might be different.

]I must concede, however, that American ]sense of humor is not easily accessible. It took *me* a couple of months ]to get it--and I've known my American wife for 10 years now.

That could be part of the problem. If they are baffled by the American humor in enough posts, they might be reluctant to try to participate and appear to be not with the program. There is less of that on the Atari groups.

]>Any other theories? ] ]How about conditional probabilities: if a German owns a computer, then ]s/he is more likely to be hooked up to a net than an American.

I wonder if that's really true. I DO think the net over there is slightly behind ours, though not by a lot. One big difference I notice is that I have no problem getting free net access for my machine at home (the "hoosier" address below), while that doesn't happen in Europa that I know of. Either you have access where you work or go to school, or you pay (and pay quite a bit).

]And: if a German owns a bus, then s/he probably uses it as a utility ]vehicle and doesn't find much time to play with e-mail.

Well, I'm sure that many German buses are just used as utility vehicles and the owners would never think of considering them as subjects for hobbies or special interest groups, but the same could be said of Chevies and Fords here, yet there are large and active clubs for both that draw their membership from the tiny fraction that DO love their cars and con- sider them as more than transportation. I am sure that there are active and organized bus owners in Deutschland, but for some reason they're not on the net.

It's still curious.

-- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Jerry Dunham, MSE hoosier@rider.cactus.org (512)432-8598 Tandem Computers, Inc. Atarian ordinaire dunham@isd.tandem.com Integrity Systems Division GS650G dunham_jerry@tandem.com

I'm just visiting this planet.