Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 05 May 1995 12:47:19 -0500
From:         dbax@mindspring.com (Donald Baxter)
Subject:      Re: Rear heater core-how to get cover off??

> Greetings all! > Well I'm back on the road and , tired of my wife complaining out clothes >smell like antifreeze, finally looking at that rear heater core. >As I look at it there are 6 screws [removed]. The cover is loose but cannot >be lifted because it catches on the plastic heater duct directing louvres >sort of things. > I know this has been rehashed every month of so [sorry i wasnt listening!] >Could someone please email me how to disassemble the cover? > Thanks in advance, > Bill Layton >WJL@vms.cis.pitt.edu > Bill:

It appeared to me that there was no way of removing it without removing the rear seat. It's awkward and it looks like more of a pain than it turns out to be. Remove the four large bolts and carefully pull out the seat with the folding mechanism. Make note of the routing of the seatbelts before you take it out, though... I had a hard time remembering and they will affect the folding mechanism. By the way, I'm assuming that you have the rear seat that folds flat into a bed (in combination with the upholstered cushion over the engine hatch. My rear heater was leaking at the flange where the hoses come in to the control valve, this flange is plastic and held together by two small bolts. I disasembled this and used that blue form-a-gasket stuff to reassemble (after cleaning the old gasket material off). It's held pretty well so far--although I still smell coolant when I first run the heater.