Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 May 1995 21:39:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Steve Johnson <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Messed up Steering column

Vehicle: '91 VW GL Camper Symptoms: Odd behavior of wiper controls Victim: Steven Johnson Date: 5/2/94

Well, I finally have time to tell you-all about my latest problem and fix of the broken steering lock and wiper controls. And no, I didn't fix it, I took it to the dealer. My excuse is that I needed to get the car smogged anyway, so I thought I might as well have them check out the messed up steering column stuff.

Sooo....

A few months back during one of the many rain storms I noticed that my wiper switch wasn't operating properly and that when I tried to use the intermittent mode, I couldn't pull the handle down to position for that mode. When I got a chance to look at it, I'd noticed that the obstruction was the steering column cover itself. Well, I surmised that things got twisted inside and it was probably from the way I get into my van. I used to use the steering wheel as a way to help pull myself up and into the bus. And by doing so, over time with the steering wheel locked, this constant stress eventually miss-aligned the mecha- nisms inside. Well, I thought, one of these days I'll have to have a look inside to see how to realign the wiper switch. Now keep in mind the steering lock still worked and the turn signals were fine as was other wiper functions.

So as I post-poned and delayed the fix, I had some other fun problems like when I tried to use the rear wiper/washer, the sprayer just kept on spraying and fluid pump kept on pumping. I fiddled with the control until finally I found that the only way to stop it spraying was to make a complete stop and shut off the engine. The problem occured on the freeway and so I figure I had the constant spray on for about a mile or so. Must have been fun to see from behind.

Well, along comes my DMV renewal notice and of course they want to have a snort of my exhaust to see how good of a buzz it produces. Well, as I'm not a certified mechanic the last time I checked my credentials, I decided to take it to the dealer. (Lasher VW in downtown Sacramento. I took it in on last Monday morning with a pre-arranged appointment and gave the official service person my description of what was happening and what my percieved diagnosis of the situation. Of course, I got the look of "what the hell do you know and we won't know what's what till be get a paws on it." So he wrote up the invoice and I had the stinking suspicion that large expenditures were in my future.

Well, later on at work I got a call and as previously suspected, the diagnoses wasn't good. I was told I needed a new steering wheel lock, a new wiper control mechanism and possibly a new turn signal mechanism. Ugh! No suprise there. So he gave me the cost figures for these replacemnet gems and after I pulled myself up off of the floor from large dollar figures quoted, I weighed the amount of the parts and labor in my head and decided that another $90 of their labor was worth it to have them do the replacing. So I gave him my blessing as I wiped back the tears and hung up the phone.

Later that morning, I was told that the part(s) were not available from any of the parts houses in town so they'd have to be ordered. Ugh! Well, that meant I had to leave my van and drive the Sentra for another day. So I okayed that and read more VW email....err got back to work.

So tomorrow became today and in the middle of the day I got to won- dering what was the situation about the van. So I gave them a ring and the service person said that my car would be done in an hour. Fat lotta good that does me, I don't get off work till 5:00. He gave me the lo-down on the actual cost and it came out to $314.00 for the whole schmuz. Smog, replaced wiper control and replaced steering wheel lock. I told him that I wanted the old parts and he said he would comply.

As my work is quite a way from the dealers lot I decided to leave at 4:00 instead of 5:00 so I would be sure not to be too late to pick up the van. As I pulled into the lot, a middle aged gentleman was just getting the last words of VW spiel from a salesman and was departing in his brand spankin' new EV camper. Nice white paint, self-contained heater and all.

I paid the paperwork clerk, headed over to my van parked way in the back of the lot. There was a nice red EV parked to the rear and right of my van. I decided to have a peek inside. It was of the multivan type. It'd be a nice compromise if I had to hall around many people. Not me!

Got in my van and turned it over. Ahhhhhh Funkengruvin.

"I missed you baby." (I missed you too. Don't EVER leave me with those, those sheisters again!) "But....but" (You heard me!) "Well, I'll have to think about it, but I'll try." (Hmmmf!) "I'm sorry."

We bonded and drove off and got my wife and returned her to her car and headed off for dinner.

When I checked out the steering lock, it had separated along the top right portion. I couldn't believe I had done that, but there was no other explanantion. I couldn't figure out what was broken on the wiper mechanism, so I'll have to keep it and maybe it can be rehabilitated.

So, if you want to do good by your van. Don't be hoisting your- self in using the locked steering wheel as leverage. I've paid the price. Will you?

Steven

sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com