Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         8 May 1995 09:22:43 +1000
From:         "King, Robert" <king@tanelorn.aod.dsto.gov.au>
Subject:      RE: Back and ready to go! (On GNATT)

>I leaned on the rubber seal & the metal (more accurately, the >former metal) buckled. There's now a big hole. I find this a bad sign. >Has anybody fiberglassed bad damage like this? I'm probably going to have a >shop do the work (time is a factor, time and not having a garage or barn >anymore) but I'd be curious as to whether or not anybody's been in this boat >before and how they took care of such serious damage.

What's the rest of the bus like for structural rust? Check in the rear of the front rear wheels where the head of the 'longitudinal' beams sit (you probably know this)....what's it like on each side of the engine cover (at the base of the 'vertical' beams)??? If either of these spots is rusted out I'd do a fibreglass/bog job for appearances/watertightness and hope to get another 3 or so years out of it.

If the rest of the body is structurally OK it is probably worth trying to save/restore.... and then only real fix for the screen is to cut it all out....usually the whole section from about 1/2 to 3/4 up the A pillar to half way down the front of the bus is cut and replaced (finding a donor vehicle good in this area can also be a problem)...

Rob K.

_________________________ Robert King king@tanelorn.aod.dsto.gov.au