Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 May 1995 18:53:12 -0500
From:         walshp@ippdsgi3.nawc-ad-indy.navy.mil (Pat Walsh)
Subject:      Removing steering box

I'm in digest mode so it's harder to reply to messages, but I've seen some traffic in the last couple of days about how to get a steering box off. I just removed mine a week ago ('71 Westy). Getting the arm off the shaft WAS a pain, but I managed it using a two jawed puller. I'd tried on a couple of other buses, ones that were being scrapped and the owners said for $$ you can have whatever you want. In each case I was unsuccessful using regular pullers so I had to leave them. The replacement box I ended up getting came from a junkyard and they cut the drop arm or whatever with a torch, then pulled it with the box off the car. So when I went to take the arm off mine, I stopped by the local VW shop and asked them "How the hell do YOU guys get these off??" They said "With a Pittman arm puller." It's basically a very hefty, C-shaped lump of steel with a bolt through the middle. I rented it for $6. It looks exactly like the one in my Bentley book. I think the secret here is that it's all one piece so it doesn't want to flop around and come off like the general purpose pullers. The ends of the C part are fixed at about an inch apart, big enough to clear the shaft but not the lever you're trying to get off. I put it on, tightened it WAY tight, and rapped on the lever with it under tension in the hopes of it springing off. Nothing happened and the puller was slipping a little so I loosened it and centered it better and turned it so one jaw was positioned close to the lever part. (So if that jaw slipped a little it would still have something to grab.) When I tightened it again, I still had to put some effort into it but not near as much as the first time. I suspect the first time might have cocked/flexed it enough to help. I didn't use any heat or WD40, etc., and this is the only one I was able to get off so I'd recommend getting a Pittman arm puller. Someone (sorry, I forgot who) said the lever will fit through the arm in the frame. I tried that on the first one, but no luck for me. But maybe I just wasn't patient enough. :-) Hope this helps someone out!

Pat Walsh, '71 Westy, walshp@ippdsgi3.nawc-ad-indy.navy.mil