Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 May 95 20:44:44 EDT
From:         ja@decws3.coe.wvu.edu (John Anderson)
Subject:      Re: Removing steering box

> guys get these off??" They said "With a Pittman arm puller." It's basically > a very hefty, C-shaped lump of steel with a bolt through the middle. I > > Pat Walsh, '71 Westy, walshp@ippdsgi3.nawc-ad-indy.navy.mil > On this subject, I'd like to add that it is often helpful if you got an arc welder, or a friend with one to make such things yourself. I made a puller to pull the arm off my steering box in my old '76 by welding a couple of pieces of 3" channel together tips to tips, carving a notch out of one side with an angle grinder and drilling a hole then welding a 1/2" nut to the other side through which went a Gr. 8 bolt. Thing is ugly as hell but works so nicely I made a smaller one out of 2.5 x 2.5" tube to press the tie rod ends out of steering components, they work a lot nicer than standard pullers as the arms can not slip around though they do require access from one side to use. Seems I also used the big one to press the ball joints out of the spindles as I replaced the beam but got the new one minus the spindles. Got the idea from pictures in the Bently manual, or in some Bently manual at least, we own quite a library of em. In general I say, look at those special tools, look at what they do and then ask yourself, could I make one from something? usually you can if you got the time and a grinder. Of course they only fit around one size component unless you get lucky as well. Bad attempt to show you the tool follows.

John Anderson ja@coe.wvu.edu '71 Westy, '90 Corrado G60

excuse the bad proportions, hope this acsii art gets through OK. only parts needed are a couple of inches of channel for each side (or heavy wall steel tube if a good size exists) a nut and bolt, lube the bolt with some antiseize and press away, I have hauled on mine using a two foot breaker bar and all my strength to break some things loose and my welding technique was far from ideal, the thing looks terrible but has never broken. Total cost was probably around $5 of scrap and of course access to an angle grinder and arc welder. Sure you could rent it but if you make it you got it forever, and for whenever (say 6 p.m. on a Sunday evening) you need it. Happy fabricating.