Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         9 May 95 24:17
From:         L.S.Griffiths@physics.salford.ac.uk
Subject:      Dub-daze and Stanford Hall

Hi folks,

Just gotta tell y'all about last weekend...

Saturday:

Arrived at the Wolvey camp site where the splittie owners club were meeting - yawn plenty of flat caps around, then the "boys" arrived around tea time. Rikki in his white/red 61 samba, Richard drivin' Rikkis 67 samba (the purple and white, with banana upholstery), Sparky in his '58 23 window (RHD Swedish import), Vaun in the that lobster and white 21 window, Meryll in his new stock panel van, and Jules in the KK panel van.

We had a barbecue courtesy of the splittie club and then some nutty guy played an organ and sung sad cockney style (no offence meant) type pub songs. Anyway there was a raffle and I won a bulb kit - you know the little blue ones with a selection of 12v bulbs.

Sunday:

*MAJOR* cruze (caravan) down to Stanford hall - an amazing sight, 64 splits in a line on the M1 stretching 1.5 miles long!!! We (the samba boys) formed our own little unofficial samba display which looked cool. Great meeting for a family (you didn't have to worry about your bus there) and I really liked the venue. I had spent 100 quid in about 5 minutes and this is what I got:

o 2 x genuine Hella red/amber rear lights, almost NOS - 20 o ashtray and holder - zero rust - 8 o five 1/2 rusty popouts (makes 2 1/2 complete popouts) - 20 o set of 40/44 Kadrons, complete - 50 o washer bottle top - 2 o wiper arm - 50p

We stayed at Stanford until the KK boys had shut up shop (5:30pm) then headed off to the Pod. We stopped at a Beefeater and had a feast - some local *twat* let one of Rikkis tires down on his 23 - matchstick in the valve job.

Arrived at the Pod around 9:00pm and set up at the far side of the drag strip then enjoyed the night.

Monday:

I put the samba in the show'n'shine along with Merylls panel van - he won :( nice bus though. Now there was this '57 Oval up for raffle and when they were maneuvering it on the trailer the towing range-rover caught and dented one of my front overiders - I couldn't believe it, it was Ok though because there were about 1000 witnesses! the guy gave me 25 quid plus two tickets to Bug Jam. I played dumb like I didn't know a spanner from a paintbrush - truth is I'll have the dint out and overider painted by tonight, he he - see yer at Bug Jam. Well I didn't win the Oval - I really wanted it and I would have given it to Helen (SO) if I had've won it. Saw the jet and rocket cars for the first time - awesome, oh and we got covered in HO5 (hydrogen peroxide) rocket fuel coz the wind was in the wrong direction. After the raffle was announced I set off home (about 4:00pm)

A good weekend all round, and the gearbox noise didn't rear its head so I guess it was lack of oil.

Lee

'64 samba l.s.griffiths@physics.salford.ac.uk http://146.87.136.48