Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 09 May 95 08:26:39 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: CB Antennas and stuff

On Tue, 9 May 95 07:57:34 CDT Lewis Horn said: >We were thinking of hooking up the old CB on our next trip out with the >'85 Westy. Does anyone have any ideas for antenna mounting/locations. >Magneticare out because of the fiberglass top. Has anyone done any side >or bumper mounts, if so how did it work out, and where did you run the >wires. Also, any good radio mounting ideas? Thanks!

i mounted my cb radio on the wheelwell under the passenger seat, passing the mounting bolts through the sheetmetal into the little storage area under the seat (NOT into the wheelwell!). this keeps the radio out of the way (most of the time) and lets me reach it with my hand without really looking at it (semi-long arms). it DOES cut down a little bit on the free space for walking between the front seats, but not that much.

this position also made it easier to hook up to the battery directly (be sure to use a fuse!) ... which cuts down on the static from the electrical systems (and engine).

as to the antenna: i got one of those thru-glass-mount antennas (like a cellular phone) and put it on the front windshield, up in the upper right corner area (about a foot or so from the side) ... be careful of the wipers! the inside gizmo with the cable fits between the windshield and the a/c housing in my 88 bus, and i ran the cable over to the right side, down behind the windshield rubber gasket, through a gap (that's already there ... you might have to loosen the dash mounting bolts on that side to widen it just a bit, to get the antenna coupling through the gap) at the bottom of the A-pillar (windisheld post, with the grab handle on it), and down behind the floor carpet and across under the carpet to the radio (between the front seats, remember?).

so far, this has worked rather well, but there are a couple of things to watch out for: - mount the radio far enough FORWARD on the wheel-well storage area to clear the safety belt mounting for the passenger seat. i didn't, and when someone is sitting in that seat, i have to lift their seat belt mounting a little bit to get the microphone off the radio. one of these days, i'm gonna fix that! :) - if you use a thru-glass mount antenna as i did, leave at least one inch clearance away from the windshield wiper's path. cause not all wiper blades are exactly the same length! :) and follow the instructions for the antenna as to the amount of clearance needed from the metal body edge around the windshield.

now: the bad news. from what i can tell, the bulk of the metal body being in the rearward area (with respect to the antenna) causes better transmission range in that direction. that is, you can talk to folks behind you better than folks in front. how much better, i can't really tell ... but people behind me seem to hear me better. or at least, answer more often. ?? the range for this short antenna (about 18") is probably 3-5 miles, depending on the terrain and the weather. as best i can determine. it might be more, but i've never talked to anyone that was farther than 5 mile markers away ... or at least, nobody farther away talked to me. it's a bitch if you want to go into a parking garage or household carport or garage: you have to stop and get out and unscrew the antenna. well, that's about the same trouble as the gutter mounts, etc. yeah, but THEY don't crack your windshield if you keep going!!! be careful about this.

that's about it. am i happy with it? yup. works great for me. would i do it the same again? yup. i'd move the radio about 3 inches further forward next time though. ;) maybe get a smaller cb radio.

i thought seriously and long about putting the radio in the roof, but i played with this for a while, and just didn't like that microphone cord hanging down around my head.

random ramblings. :) joel