Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 May 1995 15:29:28 +0100 (BST)
From:         "M.Grant" <mty016@coventry.ac.uk>
Subject:      Re: Cannot remove steering arm! Help!

On Sat, 6 May 1995, Nicholas Durie wrote:

> Can anybody offer any suggestions or if they have heated up > the steering arm before tell me how the seals faired?

Struggling with the drop arm on the steering box seems to have become a biannual struggle for me. I have tried heating the arm, and I also put a load of sheet metal behind it to try and protect the seals from (direct) heating. The seals faired ok but in my case this failed to get the arm off anyway and I resorted to the rather brutal method of draining the box, removing the kidney shaped cover, pushed the arm right up to the box and put the nut back on the output shaft to protect the threads and then hit the thing as square as possible. The shaft and drop arm seperated on the 2nd hit. I would only recommend this as a last resort as, like I said, its fairly brutal. This was done on an early (up to '71) style box. I'm not sure how it would work on a later version.

When putting the drop arm back on, don't over torque it. The torque setting is suprisingly low (I can't remember it of the top of my head), and you could try using something like Copperslip on the splines maybe.

Marcus '71 bus (no floor, no engine :() bah humbug. __ Marcus Grant mty016@uk.ac.cov