Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 May 1995 11:30:58 -0500
From:         Stephen Serafin for Malek <serafin@ece.utexas.edu>
Subject:      Re: Aftermarket Electronic Ignition

>$250??, now not to sound crazy but dad just bought a nice >4 digit handheld Fluke for $80 with capacitance meter as >well, a nice little feature, come on we're tuning a bus >here I figure just about any old DVM would be sufficient >precision isn't really that necessary in a 1 volt range, >hell you can get a data aq. board for $250 with 12 bit >precision if you really wanted. Admittedly I haven't >tried it but I bet a cheapo $30 Radio Snack meter would >do as well as the $300 bench model HP I happened to use >when fooling around with mine. > >John Anderson (still trying to save you money) >ja@coe.wvu.edu >'71 Westy, '90 Corrado > I agree, many good DVMs can be had for less than $250. Some of them still go for $750 or more. I do not know what the requirements of metering the O2 sensor are though.

When I worked at an Amoco Research Center it was very important to match the metering equipment to the sensors. Even the type wire used and its length had to be correct. Otherwise data could not be correlated. Since the sensor produces a voltage it is important to draw the appropriate current when measuring the voltage. All meters will draw some current. Drawing too much or too little may influence the reading dramatically. The main point is that the accuracy has to be appropriate for the sensor being metered.

The $80 dollar Fluke may or may not be appropriate for the job. The Haltech meter will definitely be appropriate. With the specs on the accuracy required, current draw information, and any other relevant requirements, a lower cost option may be available. It may even be that the accuracy can be horrible and you can still get acceptable results.

I would be interested in having my own analyzer so if someone has the information on a correctly matched system please post the details, part numbers, wire type and length, etc. The ExhaustAnalyzer file has a lot of hints but it does not conclude on an accurately working system.

Stephen `75 bus