Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 May 1995 14:01:14 -0500
From:         lthompson@viper.frco.com (Lee Thompson)
Subject:      Re: Speaking of Vanagon Shocks

General vanagon suspension observations for a newbie. Sorry if this issue has been beat up previously...

First, I have the same bushing noise in the right side of my '84 that was discussed a few digests back. I found it to be temperature sensitive for some reason and only on the right side. The noise is very loud below 40F but in Texas summers is barely noticeable. I've been ignoring the noise. Should I be concerned? I haven't noticed and bump steer, vibration, or sloppiness.

On the shock end of things, my van has 150K miles on the original shocks and the car drives great. I have never had a set of shocks last this long. I get in my brother's chevy van which has new shocks and I get nauseous from the front/back rolling swelling to it. The vanagon seems like a very superior suspension design than to any other van I've driven in. Yeah, the wasserboxer heads are a lemon, but I like driving the vehicle. Am I in the minority in this opinion? How long have stock shocks been lasting the rest of you readers? I'm curious if its time to start saving for some new shocks (~$200 last I checked before the dollar bit the big one).

On tires. When I bought the thing it had 80K miles and new Michelin radials. Three out of four split their bands. Fortunatly I felt the vibration before they blew up, but I'll never buy a Michelin again. Now I'm running Perelli P44 M+S without problems exept that they are a bit noisy and I now get 300 miles per tank instead of 350. My fuel bill is 15% more but I sleep better at night.

Lee Thompson Austin, TX Reply-To: "Lee Thompson" <lthompson@fisher.com>