Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         1 May 95 24:03
From:         L.S.Griffiths@physics.salford.ac.uk
Subject:      '64 tranny noises - advice wanted

So off I go down the motorway towards Volksfest and about 90miles down the road this grinding noise comes from the rear. It sounded like the tranny and it was just like the bearings had collapsed - urgh. So I pulled over and got out to have a look, no oil leaks from the tranny, no oil leaks from the r/boxes, no holes where the differential was poking through. I checked the rear wheels for wobble - nothing, so I got back in the bus and set off again - no noise at all, in fact nice and quite and didn't come back again. Incidentally the gears are perfect and don't stick or jump out, in fact the tranny shift is better than most cars I've driven.

So set off back home the next day, after about 40 miles same horrible noise again, pulled off, didn't bother getting out, and started off again - noise had again disappeared - weird.

Here's what I think:

1. low on tranny oil - I'm gonna drain what's in and put some new in tonight, I'll measure the amount that comes out to see if it was low - the reduction boxes where recently overhauled so the guy who did it might not have put enough oil in.

2. some metal fragments that were lying in the tranny sump got sucked up and churned around in the gears/differential - when I stopped the bits drained back down to the sump and didn't come up again.

I figure that 1 is most likely since the VW manual (official dealer manual) suggests that low oil = noise, and my other car (FIAT) does the same think every couple of years coz it has a very small leak on the tranny, which over a couple of years drains enough tranny oil to make it rumble.

Any suggestions, and help might calm me down...

cheers,

Lee.

'64 Samba l.s.griffiths@physics.salford.ac.uk http://146.87.136.48