Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 May 1995 18:53:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Joe Clark <jclark@nexus.polaris.net>
Subject:      Re: CB Antennas and stuff

Ay, four-roger-D, good buddy, on the directional impact of antenna locations. You get out best in the direction with the most metal; thus a front-mounted antenna gives you better range to the rear. Why? It's *magic*, don't ask me. Back when I was 10-8 in Gainesville, Fla. as the Brass Monkey (KBG-4270), I had a little Sharp 23-channel with a trunk-lid mounted antenna on my MGB, and at night I could peg S-meters at 3-4 miles. Folks always accused me of having a linear, but it was jest mah piercin' twaing ("Ay, fo'! Ay, fo'! We be -55 fo' sho'! Tee-in fo'? Cawt-cha layta...we go.")

If you can still find them, power mikes are a good way to go. They don't boost xmit power, just assure 100% modulation -- filling up the pipeline, as it were. And they're legal -- or were last time I checked, which was about '76 at Laffin-idjit Radio (sigh).

My dear departed '68 westy came with a 1/8 wave whip mounted on the roof. I put the Sharp on the dash top, mounted with screws through the existing radio-speaker holes.

>From what I recall, full 1/4-wave bumper-mount whips are best (CB is I think 27MHz, with a 10-meter wavelength, so a 1/4-wave whip is about 8.5 feet long). It's best to have your antenna some exact multiple (divisiple?) of 10 meters. If you can get hold of an SWR meter, you can fine-tune the antenna length and also measure relative signal strength in various directions. Antenna matchers -- little boxes with knobs, they go inline between radio and antenna -- can "electronicaly" trim your antenna lenght and compensate for cable length.

Good grief! I was as obsessive about CBs as I am about netsurfing today!

3's and 8's to ya, Joe

Joe Clark Floridiana.Fiction.VWs.Kidstuff.CBT.Whimsy-by-the-truckload. jclark@nexus.polaris.net http://www.polaris.net:80/user-www/jclark/

"Spill the Wine! Dig that URL!" -- Eric Burdon, unwitting WWW prophet.