Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 May 1995 14:04:12 -0400
From:         RobertW92@aol.com
Subject:      CB Radio antenna mounting

As a ham for 25 years I have installed many mobile radios. In the 74 bus I had the antenna mounted on the roof which is usually the desired location. The antenna took a lot of flexing to getit into the garage and would break about once a year. I did not mount the antenna this way in the 84 vanagon because the dome light was not in the center of the roof. I needed this opening for access. The first antenna was gutter mounted near the rear air intakes and I snaked the coax down the air intake opening through the undercarriage and into the cab area. This never did work too well. I finally mounted a second antenna in the same spot as the AM/FM antenna but on the passenger side. Required cutting several holes buts works like a champ. The radio mounts nicely on the plastic panel covering the heater outlets. I was not too sure it would be stong enough but its working fine. Direct power wires to the battery is also recommended to prevent ignition/alternator noise. Bob