Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 May 1995 16:20:11 -0400
From:         "David Easterwood" <deasterw@st6000.sct.edu>
Subject:      Re: handling on pre '68

>Now that my bus is on the road, I've noticed the handling isn't quite >what I would like it to be. >I think this is because of the apparent slack in the steering wheel. I can >turn the wheel a couple inches in both directions without any perceptable >change in direction. > >..Markus >

Get a buddy to help you. Crawl under your bus (remove front breast plate if you have one). Have your friend turn the steering wheel back & forth from the points you feel there is slack. Watch closely at the steering box and the drag link which is attached to it. If the drag link moves correctly along with the steering box, look farther back to where the link pin is. The link pin is what transfers the back & forth direction from the drag link to the side to side direction of the tie rods. There should be NO PLAY at all in the link pin. If there is, this is where your problem lies.

In most of my buses (I've had a few) I have found this is where 90% of steering problems are. The brass bushing wears out over time. You will have to take the pin out, press out the old bushing, press in the new bushing, ream the new bushing out for the new pin, and press in the new pin. Sounds simple, but it takes me about 4-5 hours to do it. Link pin repair kits run from about $28 Brazil to $40 German. Don't just replace pin, as most wear will be in the softer brass bushing.

If it's not in the link pin, look at your tie rod ends as your friend turns the steering wheel to see if the play is at the ends. Also check your steering dampner. I think the only way the dampner could help is if there is a problem somewhere else, it helps hold things steady.

Hope some of this info is helpful to you.

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------------------- * 59 Dbl Dr Walk-Thru Panel Dave Easterwood * * 59 & 61 Single Cab Pickups deasterw@st6000.sct.edu * * 60 & 66 Westfalias * * 66 Hardtop & Sunroof Deluxe Buses 61 Deluxe Beetle * * 73 & 77 Westfalias 69 Rust Bug * * 74 Thing 64 Type 34 Karmann Ghia * -----------------------------------------------------------------------