Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 May 1995 17:44:38 -0300
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Syncro Spring Compressor

>Tim, the spring compressor for the front of a Syncro Vanagon costs about >$700. Can you give instructions for how to undo that assembly without using >a spring compressor?

Duck? Seriously, the upper A-arm isn't under load, just take off the two bolts holding the upper ball joint, and tap it out with wood block and hammer (just rust, no press fit). I'll let you know what happens when I take the lower arm off. I don't think the spring needs to be compressed until you have to change the shock. Taking off the upper balljoint allowed me to freely move the spindle hub around, this is how I checked for slop in lower joint. The lower joint appears removable with normal tools, in my case heat, WD-40, and a ball pein hammer. Will keep you posted as soon as I source a non-dealer ball joint. BTW... Why can't they assemble the entire strut and spring, then mount it with one additional nut/washer at the top, instead of bolting the frame mount in between during assembly? You could drop the strut off, then visit the nice garage with the great big bolted down mother of a spring compressor! tim s.

aside... VW dealer had my '85 for 27 DAYS, spread over 6 months in 3 to 4 day periods, to diagnose a fuel injection fault. They swapped out everything, gave me a new brain, probably similiar costs as you mentioned, plus I sued/won for the $2,500Cdn it cost me to have it fixed by a Bosch FI agency in 3 days. They put in an idle stabilizer, O2 sensor and a new airflow box that the dealer had tampered with. Thank god I had a warranty.