Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 May 1995 00:50:06 -0400
From:         SkiDooer@aol.com
Subject:      Help! Synchro Vibration

I'm about at the end of my driveshaft..and UNDER it too much lately. A year ago I had a u-joint wear out and after much legwork, found a guy who was able to replace the joints so I wouldn't have to pay 500+ for the whole new shaft assembly from VW.

The Synchro's had a slight vibration ever since, but it wasn't too bad until this spring, at which time I decided to pull it off & have it checked out more closely. I found another shop that found joints to fit, so I had new ones put in. The shaft vibrated worse, so I found another shop that could bala nce the shaft. Now it's a little worse--significant vibration from 30 - 50 mph. No vibration with driveshaft out, however, but maybe I shouldn't do that.

I loosen the front drive per the manual when removing/installing the shaft & I checked the driveline alignment as close as possible using a string running the length of the vehicle. (Is there a better way?) Everything seems good in that respect. My dealer told me that the front drive is "bad" because it's noisy. I still haven't heard weird noises or felt anything unusual, so I wanted to take care of some of these other problems before pursuing the front drive in more detail. Hate spend $ on the front drive if something else is the problem.

Suggestions? Should I give up and buy a new shaft? Or could the front drive or something else cause such vehicular vibration even though there's none with the shaft removed? CV's and bearings seem good (and tight).

Thanks.......Dan 87 Synchro