Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         11 May 1995 07:39:42 -0800
From:         "McGinnis Terry" <McGinnis_Terry@mm.rdd.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Subject:      Type IV Valve Job or Rebuild?

My friend, who looks to me for expert (?) advice regarding Type II operations, has asked my opinion regarding his engine problems, and since this could cost him large $$$$, I thought I would ask the REAL experts on this list what they think.

His '74 Westy recently (about 4 months ago) started burning large quantities of oil (about 2 quarts per tankfull), which of course is coming out the tailpipe as blue-black smoke when accelerating. A compression check showed good compression on all four cylinders, but a leak down test showed one bank of cylinders at about 35% (I am not sure what it is 35% of, since his mechanic did the work), while the other bank was at about 65%. The engine has about 75,000 miles on it, and still pulls fairly well but, since the plugs are fouling on one side, it tends to lack a little on the hills. A valve adjustment showed no valves tight, so at least there is no stem stretching going on. Everything is full stock, and the oil has been changed regularly during the engine's life.

His first inclination was to get a ring and valve job done and stop there. I said that my experience with the aircooled engines (Type I) was that if you do the top end on an old engine, you should also do the bottom end. Then I said, if it was me, I would get a GEX rebuild and put it in myself; however, he is not that mechanically inclined or sure he wants to get that intimate with his Westy (I told him the experience would make him one with his bus). Since I am working on my own project right now, I don't have time to help him, so he took it to his mechanic for advice. The mechanic said that they had seen good GEX engines and bad GEX engines, so it would be better if they started out doing the top end, and while the engine was out, they could pull a rod and inspect the bearings and camshaft, if the bearings and camshaft looked good, no bottom end job was needed. I still said that an engine that old should be completely rebuilt, or his investment in the top end job could be wasted by a bottom end failure, which would also waste a lot more.

So what's the consensus out there, should he: 1) Have his mechanic put in a GEX rebuild, or 2) Have his mechanic decide if a bottom job is needed, or 3) Have his mechanic do a complete rebuild.

BTW, the mechanic is Peninsula Automotive in Campbell, CA (they presently are prepping about 20 busses in anticipation of summer, so a lot of people apparently trust them).

Thanks for any help, terry ('64 Camper - the engine goes in this weekend)

PS The Westy belongs to Bob, the lead singer in a group called Keepers of the Golden Heart, who are playing at Barney's in Redwood City, CA on Saturday night (shameless ad - I do their sound).

Thanks again