Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 May 95 11:15:57 PDT
From:         lars@RNS.COM (Lars Poulsen)
Subject:      Re:  Lost Vent Window

It is a hassle, but I live in Washington DC and therefore am aware that there is a greater chance of having my bus broken into. I guess I will spend the half hour and hook up an alarm to the front doors with a 8 second time delay and a klaxon speaker.

Save the money. Car burglar alarms produce a great deal of noise pollution, and tend to have NO effect. People are so used to them going off with false alarms, that nobody pays attention.

My daughter was dating a boy with wealthy parents. They were house- sitting at the mansion, and took the classic Corvette when they went out to dinner. Since it looked like rain, they put the hood up, and after dinner they discovered that they had only an ignition key, no door key, so they had to break in ... setting the alarm off. Since they had not been briefed on the alarm, they did not know how to reset it, so they got in the car and drove off, up the street, past the police station with the klaxon going "hoot-hoot-hoot". Nobody challenged them. (And after two minutes, the alarm timed out).

If nobody challenges a pair of 20-year olds in a red corvette with the alarm going off as they drive off, who's going to take notice of yours ?

/ Lars Poulsen