Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 May 1995 13:33:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:         dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu (Sami Dakhlia)
Subject:      CB antenna--one more time

Sorry to belabor this point, but I need help making a decision: I have two easy solutions and a not-so-easy one. The Radio Shack guy offered to check the SWR for the new CB I purchased yesterday. The question is to which of three posible antennas should I hook up the CB?

1) At this time, the radio is connected to a 4-foot fiberglass antenna attached to the left corner of the front bumper. The cable has about 1 foot of slack (in case it needs to be shortened).

2) The alternative (which I can install in less than a minute) is my old 3-foot wire-antenna with a magnetic base. It would sit on the poptop, more precisely on the little metal plate that holds the latch. When locked, the latch is in contact with the frame--in case this matters.

3) The 3rd possibility would be to hide the magnetic base under the luggage rack, i.e. on the metal cab-roof. I would then have to drill a hole into the (front) luggage rack for the antenna. This would be a tedious 3-hour job (have to remove the headliner to get to the bolts that hold the luggage rack), and I would rather not do this UNLESS someone promises a significant improvement in range and clarity, etc..

Show Me (I'm from Missoura) :-)

-- Sami ('75 Westf.) dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu