Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 02 May 95 09:19:18 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: CV Grease replacements

On Tue, 2 May 95 09:09:47 CDT Chris Chubb said: >I was windering what people use instead of CV grease. CV grease >is gurrently going to $3.49 for a two ounce tube! I need at least >two tubes per CV, four CVs per car. Mabye more. Ouch! >What is it about special grease that makes it so '$pecial'? >Is high temp wheel bearing grease a good substitute? I would >use the salt resistive boat trailer type.

i've used Valvoline MOLY EP grease in the paper tube (for the grease guns) ... and use 1/2 tube per joint/boot. be SURE it says that it is 'disk brake wheel bearing' grease (there is another kind that won't stand up to the temps of the disk brakes. or something). anyway, it's about $1.50 per tube so that's $3.00 plus tax for all four joints. i've been using it now for the last five buses and it seems to work pretty good.

a word of caution: that grease is ALIVE! it will LEAP off things to get onto your shirt and pants and face and ears and nose ... do NOT wear good clothes that you plan to keep. you have been warned! ;)

>a good answer. But, It sure seems the consesus is to >use about three times the specified amount. And I will. Gotta

yup. that's why i used the 1/2 tube ... it's actually a bit more than will fit into the joint and boot, but what with the grease LEAPing onto your clothes and body parts and dog and anything else that walks by, it works out about right. besides, you can never get ALL of the grease out of those damn tubes anyway.

if you want to clean the joint really well, get some spray cans of Brake Cleaner ... but don't breathe the fumes from that stuff!!! and it costs a bunch, too. gasoline works pretty well, but it will kill you quicker if you screw it up. be careful out there. :)

joel