Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 May 1995 15:33:51 -0700
From:         eugp@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Eugene C. Palmer)
Subject:      Engine build, part 5

78 x 90.5 engine log, part 5.

Tuesday, May 9,

Ho Boy it has been quite a weekend, not all that great really. Drove into the sunset on friday afternoon, this bus was cruisin, hard to keep it below 65. EFI was snappy, running under 20% throttle, often as little as 9% at 65 mph. Got to Hunter-Liggett about 10 pm, found that both roads into the wilderness were in disrepair, one non-existent, one with a small river running over it. Decide not to try and ford it. Guess I won't get to try hiking up that 5000 foot peak I can't remember the name of right now. Continued on down Nacimiento-Ferguson and stopped for the night. Slept OK in the bus. Ate some breakfast. Check the valves, all good, just a little snug on #1 exhaust. Start out for the day.

Anybody out here in California who has never been down Nacimiento-Ferguson should try it someday. This road drops off the coastal uplift down to the ocean in no time at all. An intense and spectacular drop. Bus was surging some as I started down Nac-Ferg. After the descent, as I started down route 1, the bus was not doing its thing well at all. Got some gas (1.95@gal in Gordo) and tried to continue. The going got rough, bus has no power, revving to over 4000 to get up dumpy little hills. Stopped at a turn-out. Everything checks out. Tried again, stopped at another turn-out. This can't go on. Attempt to gather myself together, here I am, a VW bus on route 1 in California, notorious for breaking down, broken down. Move the bus, with great difficulty now, off the road to a parking lot at the Silver peak trailhead. Remove one injector wire at a time, #2 is running the car by itself. Remove spark wires one at a time, same thing, #2 running the engine. Rip out a plug, it sparks. Rip out left bank injectors, they spray. Try it again, same deal. What the @#$%^&*? Give up. I have created a monster, an aftermarket FI system that I can't even fix, and no one in the world would touch. Hitchhike to Cambria (this took over two hours with constant traffic, at least it wasn't on Nacimiento-Ferguson!). Call U-Haul, check that they are open Sunday and that they have a van & dolly, eat dinner, at least I'm not a poor man. Head on to San Luis Obisbo, check in to motel.

Get up at 8:45 and walk to U-Haul, get 17' diesel van and tow dolly, get the insurance since I'm going on route 1. Drive to Carmina for breakfast, it's a nice little tourist town. Continue on and drive the 17' van over 35 miles of curvy, hilly roads. Stop at bus and find a new VW front emblem under the windshield wipers! My bus hasn't had one since I've owned it. A gesture from some sympathetic stranger, or just somebody who found one and thinks it might be mine? Get bus on dolly with one cylinder running, carefully stopping bus before it goes off the front, trash fog lamps. Lube dolly ratchet straps, they are always rusty. Sock bussy down hard, drive van and bus back down miles of curvy roads, stop at Hearst Castle and check out the rich mans dream. Remove axles, check van/dolly over real good (a strap had loosened quite a bit, and I had forgotten the saftey chains), drive back to Bay Area.

Work all day Monday.

Return van & dolly Tuesday,

Wednesday, May 10,

Still don't know whats wrong, but I'm guessing the injectors are clogged. Remove plug wires, manifolds, spark plugs.

Thursday

Compression check with friend. #1-100. #2-110, #3-105, #4-105. Makes sense, not as even as I had hoped, but in the right range for a 7:1 ish engine. Could be better with the valves set at .004. Nothing seriously wrong with the long block. All spark wires sparking, all plugs check out for continuity, all injectors also.

WOrk,work, work....Bus sits in driveway.

Call around about cleaning, or rebuilding injectors, can't find anybody who does it. Strongly considering slapping the stock carb on and seeing how it runs, and how the power brakes behave. When I get some time.

Sunday, May 14, Mommie day,

At this point I'm not sure why I'm posting this stuff, it's rather embarrassing actually. I've gotten a bit of feedback from excerpts so I guess people are reading it.

Should I stop?

Does anybody find it helpful or anything?

Eug, exotic, but very still, '71

Posting part 5