Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 May 1995 09:22:47 -0700
From:         eugp@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Eugene C. Palmer)
Subject:      Re: Help on 1776 overheating?

>I recently swapped my 1776cc from my '67 bus to my '57 bus. This >last weekend, I took a trip to Moab (Utah), about 4 hours away for a >little biking get-away. > >I >>NEVER<< had any problems with this engine before. It is a >1776cc, with enlarged oil passages, and the largest stock oil cooler >available. > >Couple of clues. When the engine was changed, the only differences >are that a different (smaller) fuel pump was installed, and a 6v >starter was put on. > >Clue #2. It will become very hot even on a trip just 10 miles away. > >What are the common practices to find the trouble with the engine >overheating? > >Thanks for any insight! > >'57 Microbus Deluxe 23-Window >'67 Microbus Deluxe > >- Mike White > > mike.white@law.utah.edu - mwhite@eng.utah.edu > >

Mike,

Your clues are key, I believe. I think you have a fuel problem. Especially since the engine was fine before. I've had this happen on engines when I used the little silver "pressure regulator" which I'm pretty sure just restricts fuel. Berg clued me into this a little too late. I could melt heat exchangers with this set-up, even though the car drove incredibly well, I could do 85 mph in a '63 bus, this was also a 1776 engine. I just hung, like, two huge oil coolers on it and drove at 280 degrees. Needless to say the engine didn't last long.

Anyway, put a fuel pressure gauge on that pump, it should be at least three psi. Is the pushrod too short or too long? Maybe get a new one with a new filter and check the lines from the tank that they aren't kinked or restrictive in any way. VW's like fuel, lots of it, whenever it wants.

Eug,