Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 May 1995 15:03:10 -0300
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Ethics / Radar Gun

>> <i actually was going to buy a radar gun for this express >> purpose!! until i found out how much they cost!!! :( > > >

Those of you who want it I will xerox and send a copy of the plans for this sort of thing. Beware! I believe you need FCC approval before you open your own Radio Broadcasting Facility. To cover K and X bands, on both polarization planes, you need 4 diode oscillators, $150 each, plus the rest of the components. PCB patterns are included, or you can/could buy the boards pre-etched. Includes wheel velocity pickups so you can set your apparent speed to some percentage of real speed, or have a constant output. You also needed a detector as an input trigger, to switch the unit on when police radar was detected, or leave it on fulltime. If I had a Ferrari and good roads I could afford this addition. Predating the LASER was the MASER, standing for microwave stimulation etc. Make yourself a MASER radar cannon, burn the receiver diodes out of the police radar units and do us all a favor. If you're going to all this effort why use it for defensive purpose, go for the kill. Beam me up Scotty. tim s.

Regarding the ethics discussion, it's the owners call, so let it go. Sometimes my van is left unlocked, othertimes not. It is not for anyones convenience other than my own. I admire the notion of providing a safe haven for folks, but if you relinquish the notion of private property then be prepared to do so 100%. And be prepared to forgo your 'possesions' if they become someone elses. A locked strongbox in an otherwise empty van would incite anyones curiosity, and may lead to vandalism and/or theft. There is an experiment on the go in Holland to provide hundreds of 'free' bikes for people to use, pickup and dropoff where needed. I doubt it will last long term due to peoples' need to possess things, but it is also a great notion.