Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jun 1995 13:38:29 -0700
From:         wabbott@townshend.Corp.Megatest.COM (William Abbott)
Subject:      Van/Transporter/etc. racing II

So Harvey Chao pointed out that his diesel would go further on a tank full, even it its 1/4 mile times were slower...

How about a 24 Huer De San Francisco Bay VWs? Have the start/finish line near a good restraunt (I can think of several) or a big paved space like Foothill Jr. College (1 minute off 280) and start at 4:00pm Saturday. The course goes North from San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge, goes right and past San Quentin and then over the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge, to 880, South down 880 through Berkelely and Oakland, through the east Bay, to San Jose, get on 280 and go back north to San Francisco.

Start/Finish could be The Avenue Grill in Mill Valley, (on Blythedale) Skates at the Berkeley Marina, Bangcock Garden in San Jose, there must be hundreds of places, even pizza places :), within a mile or two of the freeway... Whereever it is, parking has to be easy between 2:00pm and 4:00 on Saturday and between 4:00 and 6:00 on Sunday.

When the flag drops, teams run to their VWs and take off. Every time you complete a lap, you stop at the start/finish and collect a popsicle stick, a time slip or something. Winner is the vehicle that's gone the furthest and crosses the Start/Finish first after 4:00pm Sunday. Lap times equal to more than 75mph disqualify you for being unsafe and not with the program.

Each car should be required to have 2 persons in it at all times, for safety- don't want anyone falling asleep. There could be a special class for teams where all the drivers are in the car for the full 24 hours (take note camper fans!) but a maybe a minimum of 3 required...

We could limit refueling to certian locations and require recipts, I suppose, or leave it open (my choice).

We could run in the toll direction over one bridge and require toll recipts instead of having someone stationed at the start/finish...

My brother Ian thinks this is warped, but volunteers to help organize. Since its my dumb idea, I, of course, will help organize.

Open to all VWs, cooled by anything.

Is anyone else interested?