Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jun 1995 16:56:17 -0500
From:         Sergio Derada <derada@texas.nrlssc.navy.mil>
Subject:      Infamous Vanagon

Well, here's the story about the infamous VANAGON! I will make it as short as possible. The story will be helpfull to you if you find yourself in similar situation; otherwise, its value is basically to get your opinion on the matter! I will be most greatfull!

ONce upon a BUS-time.... I have a GL 91 that at 28K, I got a FI recall. The symptons explained in the recall letter (stalling, starting problems, etc) were not happening to my van, but after making a phone call to VW, they highly recommended the recall. So, I went to the dealer and had it done. When I drove it home, I notice a performance problem and a couple of days later I realized my mpg went down from 17-18 to 13-14mpg. I went back to the dealer 2 times. The first time they kept the van for several hours and found nothing wrong and so they recommended a 30K service. I came back for the 30K service before Xmas trip to Colorado-Arizona. The tune-up cost > $700. (NOTE: Walmart Tune-up = $29.99).

My trip to colorado was a nightmare, my belts came loose, I blew black smoke, couldn't go faster than 40 mph because the VAN would gag and die, mpg down to 7-8... a..f disaster. I stopped at a couple of dealers who claimed no responsibility for what the other idiots had done so wouldn't look at it. A local mechanic helped me with the belts. I got stuck in DURANGO-SILVERTON for 3 days because the VAN wouldn't start and everything was closed (Xmas spirit). THe local sheriff had magic hands and got it started. (I think these vans hate cold wheater... Dont they). Miles later (in SEDONA) my power-steering stopped working and a horrible knocking started. THe steering was a belt that came loose which I was able to manually replace it in place. THe knocking was intermitent but getting lowder.

It took us 4 days to drive back home... at 40mph and 6-7mpg you dont get too far...All I wanted to do is bitch, but I arrived home and called the dealer to have the van inspected. (I was quite serene and calm). Well the van wouldn't start again,,,try and try again... we finally got it towed to the dealer. They called me back with a $2100 estimate.... I went nuts!!!

I proceeded to call BBB, news, advocates, the store manager and tried to get to the owner....and even VW headquarters. I have a friend who is a reporter and said many had been ripped-off by BENSON dealers, so she was going to help. After a big stink, the local news called the dealer with my story. (I had written a 4 page letter to the news). Apparently the dealer didn't want to be on TV (I am surprised, I thought they liked advertising) and immediately called me back to say my VAN was fixed and there-would be no charge, and they would even pick-up the car-rental.

So, I said to myself...well, let's get the VAN and let this matter rest in peace....NOt so soon....That day, I picked up the can and I was n my way to work.... the van's hesitation and knocking (sounds like the CV joints) started-up! I tried to ignore it but when I was leaving work that afternoon the VAN wouldn't start. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!

My wife picked me up and we went home. Next morning, I called the dealer and wanted to speak to the service-manager (some joker I had already talked to). HE refused my called and never called me back. When I got to work and the van started OK. I drove it home for the weekend and things seem OK, but the performance, mpg and the damn hesitation/stalling never went away.

We drove the van like that for 60 days, the knocking would come and go but noone figured it out (you know....when the mechanic looks at it, the BUS is noise-free). Then my wife drove it to Minnesota (April 95)...NightMare #2... The VAN died completely up there. She got it towed to a "reputable" mechanic who $600.00 later and 3 days later, fixed it .... Not quite... my wife drove it that afternoon but the next day the van broke again. Same mechanic looked at it and fixed it again....$396.00. The whole thing had to do with some kind of pick-up coil. He had to replace the ignition and the electronic module (apparently this is the housing to the coil)..................You guess.......The next days ball-fcking-bearing blew all over the place... Here she comes again, the same mechanic had to change the CV-joints and wheel bearings on the left side. After this, I flew up there to drive home with her....It was quite nice but the hesitation/stalling haunted me the entire trip.

After I arrived home, the right side CV joint was replaced, now I have a rumble somewhere in the back (almost seems like a bad tire) and the performance, mpg, and hesitation/stalling problem have become embedded features of my VAN!

Well, I am now pursuing BBB-AUTOLINE arbitration. VW has offered $216.00 out of over $5000.00 in expenses and a trip to hell! They claim they only cover internal engine parts, so the $216.00 goes to reimburse me for a crank-shaft seal which actually cost over $400.00 at the dealer (parts+labor). VW says the dealer ripped-me off! DID YOU ALL HEAR THAT.....I REPEAT... VW USA admitted to the fact that one of its dealers ripped-me off!!!! Smells like EXTORTION to me!!

I am seriously considering taking them to court. I had a wonderful vehicle up to 30,000 miles ( I got an 83 with 140,000 running like an angel) until a bunch of crooks and imbecils got a hold of it....Now I have a piece of shit VANAGON.

Have you driven a FORD lately? sergio

They had my van for 9 days! In the mean

BY THE WAY STAY AWAY FROM BENSON DEALERS!!!!