Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jun 1995 22:32:37 -0400
From:         DocTaylor@aol.com
Subject:      Re: #1(4) VANAGON digest 504

Well, I had my starter rebuilt today, $125; slightly cheaper than a new, factory rebuilt one. Brownings Alternator Service did the job; they have a good reputation here in the Tidewater region of Virginia. Anyway, taking off the starter and putting it back on really wasn't a big deal; however, every time the phone rang, I expected it to be Brownings calling to tell me it was shot to hell and couldn't be rebuilt. They ended up doing the job in about 2 hours; even painted the damn thing! I know its mine because it has the scars where I had hit it with a pipe wrench to try and activate the selonoid. They replaced the selonoid entirely with a Bosch one, and put new brushes in the starter. One of the brushes had fallen off inside the starter (that explains the slow, 3 to 4 second, starting time). Appearently the selonoid switch was bad. Now when the glow plug light goes off and I turn the key, the engine goes from not running to running instantly; the starter now turns the engine MUCH faster. I think it must have been a bum-starter to begin with.