Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Jun 1995 10:37:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:         steffens@herbie.unl.edu (Scott Steffens)
Subject:      travel report (lots of latitude), and oil leak

hi folks

I've been off the list for about 9 months now (busy, busy) but since I've made it back home and am jobless I have plenty of time. So far this summer I've made it from Canada, (Manitoba, Ontario) to Mexico (Texas bordertowns) with Glenda, my '73 orange camper and back home to Lincoln, Nebraska again with no troubles. Incidentally, when traveling on the highways of south Texas one night I was stopped to be searched FOUR TIMES! How's that for discrimination? Glenda didn't like it much but held up fine when the contraband sniffing pups went through her twice. Okay, okay, well I was searched once going into Mexico, once coming out (of course.. they couldn't pass up a chance at looking through the belongings of two young boys with long golden locks and grins on their faces), and once at a checkpoint 60 miles north of the border (all of which were mandatory searches). The fourth was when I was stopped by a trooper 10 miles from destination Corpus Christi at 2 in the morning because my license plate l ight was out, and after the officer told me to have a nice evening he mentioned oh-so-casually, "by the way, you wouldn't happen to have any narcotics, machine guns, or dead bodies in your van would you?" After I told him no and that I'd already been searched THREE times that day, he asked if he could just take a look around the outside of the van. Seeing no harm in the cop walking around my van, I agreed. He disappeared behind the blaring lights of his cruiser and brought back a big bigdog. Oh, well you didn't tell me that you had a hypersensitive, ferociously trained drugsniffing dog with you, I thought... what an ingenious plan.. one that would have even gotten me had I any unmentionables in the interior of the vehicle. So this is a warning to all of those to whom it applies, be sure to even turn down searches that involve cops walking around your van. :) Probable cause because of a big jumping, barking, freaking-out dog... what a strange thing. Luckily this wasn't the case and I continued unscathed with no more law enforcement problems the rest of the trip.

Okay.. now for the good stuff. There seems to be an oil leak coming from somewhere inside the fan housing, as smoke from burning oil makes it's way up from somwhere inside there. Now is there a somewhat simple way of getting to a gasket in there without ripping the whole engine apart? Anyone ever done this before with the engine still intact? Please tell me the process, and what particular gasket to ask for at the parts store.

Next.. timing. It seems like there was always someone else around to time my engine, so I never really bothered with it on my volkswagen. Which is more effective, static timing or with a timing strobe light? I've tried it statically, but the light stays on for a quarter turn of the distributor.. what would cause this? And this is with brand new points.

Fuel guage: my fuel guage always shows that there's always half as much fuel as there really is in the tank. I've already repaced the guage in the dash and it didn't help... I guess I'll have to replace that floater arm deal in the tank... unless anyone offers a suggestion here.

Thanks so much. Scott Steffens University of Nebraska-Lincoln steffens@herbie.unl.edu