Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Jun 1995 22:08:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:         tfab@netcom.com (thom fitzpatrick)
Subject:      Brake Nightmare

Howdy! Brake problems:

On the trip to Bodega, on the nice, long causeway on Hwy 37, I went to stop at the light (by Sears Point) and much to my chagrin, the pedal went to the floor and set up camp there, refusing to come home to my loving foot! I worked it by hand several times to try to get some braking action, while trying to downshift, keep the bus on the road, and flash the headlights at Steve J so he wouldn't leave me stranded! I solved the problem temporarily by putting a small pair of vice grips on the rubber brake line.

At bodega, I took the drum off (thanks to Bill M for the cheater pipe and other oddsnendz), and dicovered that the wheel cylinder had exploded, so to speak, having reached its maximum travel. I put it back together and tightened up the brakes, and it seemed to be OK.

On the way home, about a mile or less from my house, it did the exact same thing. I solved it again with the vice grips!

About a quarter mile later, it did it again, only this time I had to send the bus careening crossways thru the intersection to avoid a car crossing in front of me. Another pair of vice grips!

So, the problem is that the system is not letting the pressure out, and letting the fluid return to the master cylinder. This causes the brakes to drag.

So far I've replaced:

master cylinder & resvoir all 6 wheel cylinders all shoes (which need to be replaced again!) rubber brake lines on driver's side (passenger side looked new, driver's side look vintage '56!)

So I guess the next step is to replace the shoes, and the steel lines, and possibly the rubber lines on the passenger side.

Any ideas, experiences would be helpful!

THanks, THom (No good sig stuff yet...) -- Thom Fitzpatrick tfab@netcom.com